Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Exercise vs Medication


I've spent a lot of my life being pretty inactive. As a teenager I remember my father telling me to "get some exercise" when something was bothering me - pain, sickness... physical ailments.

Now that I'm an "adult" (I still this this term is debatable), suffering from extreme physical pain most of the day every day... I come back to "get some exercise" and wonder if that's really all there is to it. If I were that girl you see running on the side of the road at 6 am, would I have these problems? Is it really a defect I'm just stuck with, or could I push through it? I don't know because I haven't tried. For about a year (2006-07) I was active every day, working out for an hour every night, going on walks with my kids, riding bikes... It was awesome. My body has never looked so good, and I remember being pretty happy. I stopped working out when I started getting headaches the size of the US and Canada combined, and when they told me I had a brain tumor I just altogether quit everything.

At this point, my entire body is suffering. I've tried everything (with the exception of witch doctors or whatever you call that crazy holistic stuff)... doctors, medication of every shape and color... Nothing is working. I'm going to try working out again. My bike will become my friend again, walks around the neighborhood... whatever it takes! It's going to be extremely difficult at first because I'm in so much pain, but we'll see what happens!! I have a feeling it's going to be worth it. I'm probably stupid for waiting so long to get to this conclusion, but my body has been torturing me and I haven't been thinking very clearly for quite some time!

WISH ME LUCK!!!! (and endurance!)

2 comments:

Brandon and Lindsey said...

You can do it! It amazing really what just walking around the block can do for you! I'll cheer you on! Go Aubs!!!

Debbie said...

Way to go! I would have been so much better off if I had made this commitment at your age. Good plan - good luck!