I am very disappointed this morning. I know it's the natural cycle of things, but I was NOT ready to hear my son be mean to a little girl. This morning when we got out of the car at the school, we walked right next to this little girl with something different about her face. I don't know what it was exactly, but it looked like she'd had surgery at some point or something. She gave us a big smile and said, "Hi! I'm Melinda." She was adorable. I said, "Well good morning Melinda! This is Josh, and that's Asher." Josh said, "He's my brother." Then he turned to me and said, "She always tries to play with me but I don't LIKE playing with her. I just like to play with MY OWN friends." :( :( :( I almost cried. That's not my sweet Josh!I told you sending him to school would ruin him.
3 comments:
ah dont take it too personal! mikey does the same things. i think they are learning how to choose the friends they want and they like the freedom of being able to make descions! school isnt gonna ruin him yet...you have till HS for that! LOL>
No, no it's OK. He's learning. When he comes home, role play the scenario with him. First ask him how he would feel if others treated him like that, and get him to think about it. And then role play it out a few times -- he gets to be the child wanting to play, and you get to play the part of Josh. And you work out the way it's supposed to go! This is all the learning process. Role playing is an awesome way to work through these things.
This is just the beginning. He is a good kid and I wouldn't stress over it too much. Just the other day Kenlee came home and had deep scratches on her hand. She told me who did it but when I asked why she said she couldn't remember. I told her that I thought that she just didn't want to get into trouble, I was right. A girl had called her "stupid" so Kenlee whacked her in the head with her lunch box, then the girl grabbed her hand making the scratches. Unbelievably, no one saw them and they didn't get into trouble. So, we have to go over the sticks and stones conversation, again. Children have to be told things again and again and hopefully some of it sinks in.
Post a Comment