Monday, November 2, 2009

The Halloween That Put Me in Labor

This year my kids were Mario and Luigi for Halloween. They are pretty obsessed with Mario games, so I think it was perfect for them. :)

Trick or Treating with their Aunt Danielle (my sister-in-law)



Mario (Josh) and Luigi (Asher)

At the church carnival with Grandma 'Chele




Danielle and Asher :)

I went trick-or-treating for about 4 houses with the boys before I started contracting and had to get back in the car. Apparently it was enough to send me into some pretty intense contractions, though, for the rest of the evening. I woke up a few times in the night with them, and in the morning it was definitely getting worse. By 11 am I was pretty sure I couldn't ignore it anymore, so I called my doctor and he asked me to head to LDS Hospital to get checked out.


They did a fetal fibronectin (fFN) test to check for a protein that can predict the onset of labor within two weeks or something like that. (Click the link to read about it!) The test came back positive, which means my body has been preparing for labor, so they're taking it pretty seriously. I'm 32 weeks and 3 days, and I need to make it to at LEAST 34 weeks. They gave me a shot of Terbutaline to stop the contractions, and sent me home about a half hour later. I was only in the hospital about an hour and a half, and I went home with no contractions (hooray!) and a prescription for bed rest.

Anywayyyyyy, I went in to see the doctor this morning and he says I'm measuring at 35 weeks (just from the outside... not ultrasound) and he thinks from the ultrasound I got taken at 15 weeks my due date might be wrong. He thinks I may actually be due a week earlier than we were thinking, and he might even deliver the baby almost two weeks early because he's so big. We're going to see how it goes, though, because I want this baby to have as much time inside to grow as possible!

Moral of the story: Everyone pray he stays in at LEAST 11 more days (until I'm 34 weeks along), but ideally he'll wait another 3-4 weeks!

4 comments:

Hailey said...

aw! your kids look adorable! my boyfriend dressed up as luigi as well, although asher looked so much cuter!

The Schramm's said...

Oh my goodness! Crazyness! Keep that cute lil tyke in there for just 11 more days. You can do it! I believe in you! ;0)

Whitney L. said...

You can do it! I will be keeping you and your family and my thoughts and prayers. Josh and Asher are ADORABLE!

Jessica said...

I love the costumes! I feel for ya, I was on bedrest for 3 months, and I remember 28 weeks was our goal and we made it to 35. You'll be in our prayers, Good Luck.