Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Facebook or Two-Faced-book?

A lot of people have said things to me like "I don't know how you're getting through this, you're going through so much!" which indicates that people know I'm struggling and could use less stress in my life, not more... but still I find myself surrounded by drama, flooded with it.

I am an extremely dramatic, passionate person. I create drama in places it otherwise wouldn't be. I know that. Lately, though, it has been finding me more than anything else.

If you think this post is about you, you're probably wrong. Or you're partially right - no one person is responsible for what I'm talking about, it has been many.

It's probably 95% my fault for being such a negative person. It's no fun to talk to people who are constantly in crisis. I am, however, constantly in crisis, so I guess I just need to find people who are strong enough to endure through it.

This is why I disappeared off your facebook friends' list. I didn't delete you... I deleted me. I'm laying low for a while...

If you need me, find me here:
aubrey(dot)ortega(at)gmail(dot)com

1 comment:

natterbee said...

The longer I'm on Facebook the more I think it is a place one should only be "friends" with one's acquaintances. It seems like it's best for people who are only superficially "friends" - not the ones that one is truly connected with.

A few examples of problems I've seen: written words are misinterpreted (or not worded carefully enough), people sometimes say things they wouldn't say to the person's face because they don't have the face-to-face backlash, when a person posts a status in a MOMENTof anger or depression, it sometimes causes undue alarm for those reading it because they don't realize that the person isn't actually in a CONSTANT state of depression or SERIOUS anger. I've also seen people "hint" at a need for inclusion, which may or may not be noticed or acknowledged. And then there's the varied degree of Facebook involvement: some watch it all day every day, while others only check in occasionally, but you can't actually tell how frequently a person is on it.

Facebook certainly is a wonderful electronic medium, but I think it is best used between people who don't actually love or care about each other enough that they are apt to hurt or be hurt.

This comment is not about any one person, either...just some of the things I've noticed in the year and a half since I joined Facebook.