Saturday, September 4, 2010

Top 10 Things I've Learned (so far) in College Dance Class:

  1. I'm not quite as self-conscious as I was in high school, but pretty close.
  2. I am much larger than I thought I was. (Staring at yourself in a giant mirror for an hour and a half is NOT pleasant. I'm going to need a whole new therapy session just for that. How is the post-third-kid body so much worse than the post-second-kid body??)
  3. When you're 25 (26 on Tuesday), you're old enough to know that 18-year-olds straight out of high school are obnoxious (and you can pick them out of crowd a mile away).
  4. I have the exact same body type as the 45-year-old lady who is also in my class. Absolutely no one else in the class even resembles my shape.
  5. There are girls who take Introduction to Jazz even though they've been dancing their entire lives, just to show off.
  6. There are straight men who dance WAY better than I ever will, and gay men who can move in way more feminine ways than I ever have.
  7. Jazz dance works every single muscle in your body and will leave you sore for weeks.
  8. Dancing barefoot because you forgot your dance shoes is a very bad idea.
  9. Just because you could dance when you were 8 doesn't mean you can dance when you're 25. (Take the number of kids you've had, times it by 8, and that's how many years of experience you have to take off your resume.)
  10. Sign up for classes very early, so you don't get stuck taking a dance class at 5:30 pm.

No comments: