Thursday, January 10, 2008

Miller girls

You know, lately I've been noticing I'm so similar to my mother it almost scares me. (Almost)

I wake up at least twice in the middle of the night, get on the computer for a minute, clean something, start some laundry... I can't ever sleep through an entire night without some good heavy sleeping pills (which I hate taking). Then, around 4 or 5 am, I wake up, go downstairs in my robe (and her pajamas that I stole a few years back), make some hot chocolate and try to warm up. Here's a visual if you need one:

This is literally how I always picture my mom when I think of home. (She's going to be horrified.) Add a cup of hot chocolate, because she drinks that as much as I do, and she's always cold like me.

I'm not here to lie to you folks, it doesn't scare me to be like my mother. I'm actually pretty proud of myself every time I do something that I'm like, "hey, my mom does that," because she's an extremely hard-working person. I've always wanted to be like that, but until I was nicely medicated (curse my ADD), I didn't think I ever would be. There you go again, another thing my mom always said that was right. "There's a pill for that." :)

*****

I also really miss my sisters. Nothing against my sisters-in-law, I miss them too, but I miss my sisters beyond belief most days. I don't think they have any idea how much I enjoy them.


My sister Natalie is seven years older than me. She's so intelligent and organized, I'm incredibly jealous of her abilities. We have very little in common in that way, but we seem to get along pretty well. Maybe because we're so different? Who knows. I've had a few people say I look like her. I don't see it, but I hope so. She's always thinking of ways to help me through her own experiences. She'll make me little games to take on the drive to Kansas so my kids won't get bored, and she'll always give me little tips like, "If you don't take a picture of your baby's foot while he's still tiny, you'll regret it. It's because of her I have this picture of my Asher:


Nat

Nat, Olivia, Rob, Alex, Ashlie


*****


My sister Jenny is going to hate this picture, but I love it, so I'm hoping she'll forgive me. She's 10 years older than me, and I've always felt like she's the most like me. I don't know if she agrees with that, since our lives have turned out so differently, but I feel like we're kind of kindred spirits in the way our minds work (and don't work). Personally I think I look more like Jenny. (I'm not complaining, people, she's always been so beautiful.) She's the most generous person I've ever met. She truly lives the Christian principles, constantly helping anyone and everyone. I'm not sure how she finds time to do it! Don't let her buy you anything, though, she won't let you pay her back. :)

Jenny

Adam, Fred, Jenny, Emma, Noah


*****


The girls:

Mom, Jess (our other sister), me, Jenny, Krista, Karla, Nat, Antje

Whose idea was it to take a picture of us all standing up?? I can only hope when I'm my mom's age I look the best in a picture of me and my kids! haha! I know it's a terrible picture, but it's the only one I have with all of us. Guess you'll have to live!

2 comments:

Jess said...

Yeah so the standing up was a REALLY bad idea. At least I'm behind everyone though. Except my face looks awful. I'm jealous you have fun sisters! Thanks for sharing them with me!

Debbie said...

This is quite a shot of "the girls" - I guess we should do one when we're cleaned up - oh, yeah, we were going out to the Olive Garden - we WERE cleaned up! Aaagggghhhh!

Glad you got it anyway and boy, if that's how I look to you most often, you won't be disappointed in my old age, wearing my granny nightie - oh yeah, I AM a granny!

Thanks for the nice things you said. You can speak at my funeral.