It happened. I woke up early, got dressed, woke up Joshua, and he practically jumped out of bed. I said, "Good morning!" and by the time I was done saying those two words, he was already up and smiling. This is not normal for Josh, btw. He'll stay in bed till ten if no one bothers him.
He immediately asked which clothes he could wear to school, and I've never seen him get dressed so quickly. We went downstairs for breakfast, and then he brushed his teeth really well. (He says, "Teachers like it when you have white teeth, not yellow ones.") He got his shoes on and asked if Asher was going to come too. We went outside to take some pictures, and off we went... walking to school. I've never seen him walk so fast. :(
We met the crossing guard. He said, "Wow, that's really nice of her to walk us cross the street!" About halfway to school, he realized there were kids walking behind us. He turned around, walking backward, and said, "Hi!!!" with a huge wave. The kids did not say hi to him, and I kinda felt like punching them for being the first kids to ignore my son.
When we got to the school, Josh said, "Wow, everybody is going to school!" I think he thought he was the only one, lol! I walked him inside to the gym where everyone was lining up in front of their teachers... At first I couldn't keep up with him - he was so excited to follow the other kids inside. Then he saw a 3rd-grade girl throw a TOTAL fit, screaming and saying, "I don't want to go!"
For a moment, he hesitated and said, "I don't want to be here, Mom." I said, "Why not?" and he said, "I want to go to my classroom." I told him to ask his teacher, Mrs. James, so he said, "Ms. James? I want to go to the classroom." Mrs. James said, "We're all lining up in here first, then we're going to walk down to the class together." He said, "Ok!" and sat down in line behind the other kids. I gave him a kiss and said I love you, and he waved bye with a huge Josh smile on his face.
To my amazement, I didn't cry until I got home. I cried and cried, absolutely heartbroken... for about 15 minutes. I'm picking him up again in about an hour, because today is a short day... so I'll make a slideshow for you of all the pictures I took before I have to go! My baby is a Kindergartener!



2 comments:
I guess I might have known you would be one of the crying moms! That backpack is bigger than he is so don't fill it up! So cute! Tell Josh I am so proud of my big boy and give him a big hug from grandma.
I can't believe you have a kindergartener!! I will definitely be the bawling mom, too, so don't worry you're not alone! I hope everything went well for Josh!
Post a Comment