Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Well, it wouldn't be the 1st time I posted 3 times in one day....


I've had a request for a school update.... so here we go!

I'm annoyed with the school, because....

*We aren't allowed inside the school. "We", as in, the parents!
*Naptime and snack time were not explained to us... so our kids went the first couple of days with nothing to rest on (just the floor), and nothing to eat at snacktime. They just told our 5-YEAR-OLDS to tell us that we need to bring snacks. This, needless to say, did not work very well. My 5-yr-old said, "they told me to bring my own lunch in a lunchbox," which caused me to have a mini heart attack, thinking he didn't eat lunch at school. lol
*Yesterday, I left the house 5 minutes late to go pick Joshua up from school. Asher and I walk to the school, so it took us a few minutes to get there, and by the time I got there they had already locked the school's doors. I finally located my son at the front office with his teacher, who promptly served me a mini lecture about getting there on time. I was 6 MINUTES LATE, PEOPLE!!!
*The other moms are way too much for me to handle. I'm not used to all this socializing and sharing space with other protective moms, and lets just say I've had my share now. I dread the walk to the school now, because I don't want to face the other moms and the caravan of strollers all the way there and back.
After school today I met a woman who has the same complaints... about not being let in the school and all that. She says she's looking into getting her kid transferred to a school outside post limits because she's uncomfortable with not being allowed to see what's going on inside. I guess I'm not alone!

BUT, Joshua seems to be enjoying himself. The first day, he came home begging for homework. I had to explain to him that he didn't have any yet, and he kept insisting that I come up with some. Yesterday was day #3, and he kept telling me he didn't want to go to school. He never gave me a good reason, so off he went anyway (not that I would have kept him home if he did). When I picked him up after school, he cried the whole walk home because he said his feet hurt... and he had a runny nose. I put him to bed early last night with some medicine, and he seems to be better today... but I haven't seen him since 8 am!

So far, that's the best update I can give you... it's been an adjustment, for sure. I feel like all I do is walk him to school, walk home. Check my email, take a shower, and walk back to the school. Walk home, make snack, get ready, go to work. Come home. Repeat. I haven't really adjusted to the schedule yet... maybe next week? lol!

I want to hear everyone else's experiences, too... am I the only one who finds it a big pain in the butt???

I'm also gonna throw in an Asher update! I haven't done one of those in a while, and I've concentrated on Josh's school situation so much I feel a little like he's getting left out of the mix!

As you can see, Asher is as cute as everrrr, with the most adorable personality! He and Josh are as different as two kids could ever be, but Asher misses Josh so much while he's in school... when we go pick him up, Asher always gives Josh a huge hug and says, "Miss you, Dosh!" ("Dosh" is Josh, btw.)

About a week and a half ago, we moved Asher into a big boy bed! He's been using his toddler bed for ages now, and it was finally time to move on to a twin size. He looks teeny in it, but he was not getting enough room in the other one. When he was still in the racecar bed, he woke up 3-6 times per night to come get in my bed! Now he's sleeping soundly ALL NIGHT LONG!!!! :)


It breaks my heart to have to wake him up at naptime to go pick up Josh... my Asher has always been a phenomenal napper, and I'm struggling with the idea that I'm methodically ruining his fantastic 3-hour nap!
I took this picture yesterday right before I woke him up... what a tragedy, to wake a sleeping child! ALSO, Asher has completely given up diapers. NO MORE DIAPERS FOR US!!!!!! I'm ecstatic. He's using the potty 100% now, not a single accident in weeks! It's beyond perfect. I'm so proud of him!!! :) :) :)

9 comments:

AshliO said...

Well, something isn't right about all this. Did they not have an open house type thing where you went and got all the basic info from the teacher (snacks, rest-time, etc.) -- AND school policies regarding parents inside the school? Surely there is a PTA? Parents volunteers of some sort? There is just no way that parents wouldn't be let inside the school ... unless there is something going on, a security issue or lock-down situation like someone mentioned yesterday. Have you called the office for an explanation? What are you supposed to do if you have to check your child out early for some reason?

We've received all this information at an open house, and in writing from our kids' school. So, I think it's time for a call to the office for clarification. Maybe there is a parent's night coming up or something -- or did you possibly miss one while you working and maybe hubby didn't pass on all the info?

I would encourage you not to be discouraged by all the other moms, but use them to your advantage -- befriend somebody so you can get the inside scoop from another mom who has been down this road before (has an older child in the school). And by all means, call the office. I think maybe there has been a misunderstanding ... maybe an information night you missed or something??? I don't know ... it's just not quite adding up.

Oh, I've definitely been late before and gotten a lecture! Sheesh. Isn't that annoying??

Aubrey Anne said...

There was an open house, but when we met the teacher, she didn't say a single word about naptime/snacktime... Since that day we haven't been allowed inside the school. There is an orientation set up, but it isn't until the 21st... One full week after school started. I think that's absolutely absurd, the fact that we've had to fumble around trying to figure out what to do for a whole week... but I guess that's just how the cookie crumbles, eh? I have to admit, though, I'm pretty jealous of the school your kids are going to. It sounds great!! I think the fact that we're on a military post might have something to do with it....

AshliO said...

I'll ask my friend if the situation is the same at her school (unless you don't want me to). Meanwhile, write down all your questions and save them for that night ... and don't be afraid to call the school in the meantime. You are the MOM!

The Greenwoods said...

Hey Audrey, This is Eddie's Wife Brittany I was wondering if you wanted to be an author on the Culinary Queens blog?? I see you have a link to it and if you and anyone else you know might be interested in contributing send me your email and I can add you. Oh and I would feel the same way if I was not allowed into my child's School. I have never heard of that before. But then again I heard on the radio yesterday that a school in Texas is allowing teacher to carry gun for safety!! So who knows!! I am happy to see you are blogging again I really enjoy reading your posts.

Krista Miller said...

Well good luck with all of it. I'm sure you'll get it handled!
That is so great that Asher is potty trained! Good job to you and him!

Jon said...

I wouldn't let my kid spend one minute in a facility that won't let me in. NOT ONE MINUTE.


- Jon

mIcHeLLe said...

ugh! we did Kindergarten last year and it was a huge pain...by the time you get them there, then get home etc...it's time to get them again...and then on Friday it's short day??? WTH? short day? it's already short day.....he doesnt have all day Kindergarten does he? I was wondering why they do naptime? never heard of naptime in a half day kindergarten class?

Aubrey Anne said...

Yes, he's there all day!! :( 7 hours!! It's killing me to be away from him so long, but I am glad I don't have to walk to the school twice in such a short period of time...

Becky said...

That is SO wrong they don't allow you IN the school! I'd be pissed too!

I don't blame you for not wanting to be around the protective Mommies. I do think you'll love having 1 on 1 time with Asher, he'll grow to cherish this time with just you :)

I bet Josh misses you at school, maybe that's the reason he cries coming home and his opinion about school is so unsettled. He loves school - but also misses you? Awwwww :)