I want to make your lunches. I want to. Simply because it will make you happy.
I want to be the one who makes you dinner and cleans up your dishes. I want to!
I want to put your keys and wallet next to the front door at night before I go to bed, because you always forget to and you'll always forget where they are in the morning and be late.
I want to ask you how your day was and hear the answer.
I want to work out with you, just to be near you while you do what you love.
I want to tell you you're incredible - not because you need to hear it, but because I feel it.
I want to keep you for always... and not just in a we're married sort of way. In an I'd marry you again if I had to sort of way.
I want to be the one who runs fingers through your hair and lets you be yourself. I don't want to do that because you want me to. Just because you are mine and I want you to be yourself.
I want to wash your jeans in the bathtub and hang them to dry so you won't have to wear the same jeans twice (and you have such expensive taste we only have 3 pairs!) This is something I used to resent. Why?
I want to do the dishes and clean the house so when you get home you don't feel so stressed.
I am shocked that I want these things. These are things I haven't wanted to do for my own reasons in about 2 years. In some ways I have never wanted to do these things... I've always felt a lot of 1950's-type pressure that comes along with my "job" of doing all the housework, and along with that pressure I've felt resentment when I do those things for my husband. I don't like to do what's "expected" of me. It turns out my husband doesn't even expect those things from me. Who knew?
Now I know, and I want to. I want to make you the luckiest husband in the whole world, and not just to show you that you need me and no one else... just simply to make your life easier, and because I know you'll do the same for me.
If only we could have discovered this feeling 3 years ago... but it is never too late to learn how to take care of each other, and I'm so lucky we learned before it was too late. (Thank you, Michele.)
Love,
Your Wife,
Always.
No comments:
Post a Comment