Monday, June 29, 2009

Eh, Maybe I'm Feeling Inspired.

Okay. So I've been wanting to ask this question to the masses (well, all 18 of you) for a VERY long time now. About 3 months.

After spending an UNREASONABLE amount of hours reading my latest obsession, I am feeling a renewed burst of brutal honesty coming on. So here it goes:

I’m just wondering…. Is there an age when people quit asking you questions like, “Were you on birth control?” and "Is this baby an accident?" when they find out you are pregnant? I am just wondering because I started so young that questions like that were almost expected… I was seventeen years old when I first got pregnant, and I knew that was going to be everyone’s first question (and let's face it, no one feels they need a filter when speaking to a knocked-up 17-year-old). I wasn’t offended by it, just mildly uncomfortable.

Now, I am twenty-four years old, having my third baby, within a 4-year marriage. Why am I still being asked this question? I find it irreverent and rude, not to mention completely unnecessary.

What are they doing, trying to narrow down the list of available birth control options they are willing to try? Is it something like, if I say, “Yes, I was on birth control,” they are going to say, “What kind? I’d like to avoid it in the future”? I can’t see any other reason for asking that question!

Maybe it is just out of habit. Like, “How are you?” is always followed by “fine” or “good,” even when you are spiraling down into the depths of despair. Maybe I have given them so much opportunity when I was young and single to say whatever they want to me (because everyone knows the laws of manners and etiquette when speaking to someone don’t apply to people under 21) that they just simply can’t let the dialogue change.

The person who most recently asked me this question (but don’t be fooled into thinking she was the only one) is my age, and also had children young. She has two of her own. Perhaps she is used to the dialogue because that’s what everyone has said to her, and she doesn’t know what else to say about my having three children at age twenty-five. I don’t blame her for this, and I don’t resent that she asked me

I am just wondering if at some point you reach an age or stage in life when people stop asking inappropriately personal questions about the circumstances of your child’s conception. Or perhaps it's a social status thing. Maybe you have to be a certain type of person to avoid these kinds of intrusions into your personal life.

Or has our society just evolved into this place where everyone can say or ask anything they want without running the risk of having to feel any guilt or embarrassment over it? Probably.

For some reason getting pregnant again (true with my second and my third babies) also opens the flood gates for people to say other offensive things to me. Like asking the same question about my OTHER two babies. "Was _____ an accident?" (Let me warn you now - if you ever refer to any of my children as an "accident," you and I will have unpleasant words.) Or, "I thought you should give Josh up for adoption because you were SO young and so obviously not ready for a baby..." This statement is usually followed up by something that is supposed to pad their comment... something like, "But you're such a great mom now!" As if I'm going to want to punch you any less for thinking I wasn't good enough for my son (and telling me to my face about it 6 years later) because you said I'm good enough for him now.

I'm just wondering... does everyone receive this kind of disregard for etiquette, or is it just the ones who committed teenage pregnancy crimes?

14 comments:

Ada said...

I had the same kind of questions asked of me too! Course, I'm maybe not the best to ask for the following two reasons:

1) The question was always preceded with "how old are you?" followed with their response, on hearing my age {24}, "oh! haha! I thought you were 17 or 18..."
and
2) I got pregnant 2 months after getting married. {And no, it wasn't an "accident."} :D

I always chalked it up to people just not knowing what else to say about it. However, I think a simple "congrats!" would suffice.

Having said that, I am so glad that you wrote this blog post! I hope they keep coming... :)

Keith and Nancy said...

Aubrey-

I understand completely in away, I get it all the time but, mine is why are you not having kids, can you not get pregnant or do you not know how to get pregnant, stupid stuff like that.

I think people expect you to tell them everything when you are pregnant just like people walk up and touch your belly and stupid stuff like that.

But I have to say that the question if you meant to get pregnant is uncalled for no matter what age you are. I just find it rude and like you most people who are pregnant really do not like being asked that question.

I could probably go on and on about how I feel about this.

Unknown said...

People actually ask you those questions? They should be ashamed of themselves.
Seriously, if any of you that may read this are guilty of asking her (or any other pregnant woman) those questions, just stop now. I got asked if my son was an accident by a few people when my wife was pregnant and it made me extremely uncomfortable. If any kid was, why does it matter? Does it make him or her less desirable or somehow worse off? If any of you have done this and post any argumentative comments to either me or Aubrey, just stop and think about it.

Darci Lynne said...

I have been asked by nearly everyone if this pregnancy were an "accident." I think people are just morbidly curious. "Were they attempting to procreate or were they just, you know, doing it???" It is an odd question- but I have asked it of people before never realizing how obtrusive and stupid it is. Such a strange, strange world! I had never thought about it until I read your post. Now I am a little irritated. At myself for EVER asking that, and at others for asking me that. Does it matter? I intend to care for the child either way. I have a good 9 months to get ready before a child arrives-planned pregnancy or not.

P.S. I was "an accident" but I am pretty sure I'm the best thing that ever happened.

reaper said...

You will never be too old for questions like that. Even if they stop while in your late 20's early 30's, after 40 they will start asking it again, because of course, just like 17, anything after 40 MUST have been an accident.

Note to all the knee jerk responders: I do not believe such questions are polite, or appropriate. I'm just stating the fact that people are idiots and it doesn't seem to matter the age.

Jenn said...

I can't say I've ever encountered that, mostly because with Hunter people were afraid to say anything. Everyone assumed I was getting married because I was pregnant and kept telling me to stop lying about it. When I got pregnant 6 months LATER everyone felt like a bunch asses so they never said ANYTHING. With Savannah, I had made no secret of my desire for another baby so it wasn't necessary to ask. But like Darci, I know I've asked other people before and I just never thought about what an invasive question that is. And I think she's right, I really think it's morbid curiousity. That hardly makes it appropriate, but I think that's the most likely reason for asking. But whatever the scenario is, a baby is a blessing, no matter how it got here.

You're my favorite and I'm glad you're blogging again. Love you!

Jillian said...

I agree with the comment above.. it doesn't matter the age, people just don't think before they speak. I don't understand it either. Everybody thought Avery must have been an accident because she came 9 months after we got married. A lot thought that since we didn't get married in the temple that I MUST have been pregnant before we got married. Does it really matter? I think that it's awesome that you are pregnant again and you are a super mom! Seriously, I admire so many qualities that you have! Thanks for sharing and being so honest, it is so nice and refreshing to read your blog.

Mayhem At The McNeils said...

i dont know aubrey. ive never been asked that question personally. i got pregnant with mikey when i was 20. young, yes. im sorry that people are dumb and dont think before they talk. it is society. now a days everything is out in public. or on a blog. even things that really, should be kept private. i think people for the most part are de-sensitized to it all.

ClaysJenna said...

I'm glad you're blogging again! I've found that people ask that question a LOT. Truthfully, I'm guilty of asking it to people. I don't think I've ever really thought about what I was asking until you wrote this post {granted I only asked really close friends that I know really, really well}. Everyone who has sex knows that a baby can happen so in a sense you are "always" trying to it's really a dumb question. I'm sorry. I hope things are going well and I really love reading your blog so I hope you'll continue to blog!!

Aubrey Anne said...

Well, I guess at least I know that people aren't TRYING to be offensive! lol Not sure which is worse... being bold or ignorant? j/k :)

Miken said...

good thing i never asked you that! jk :) i don't know why people would ask you that unless they're SUPER close with you or something - but even then they would know that it wasn't an "accident"! i totally know what you're saying though. i'd never quite thought of it like that but it's definitely a wake up call that people need to hear. i constantly think there should be lawfully enforced rules on ettiquette (spelling!). people are getting worse and worse. i'm glad you put that out there though!

Megs said...

Hooray! You're posting!

I consider myself a perfect person to ask your questions to - only because I STILL receive these questions on a daily/weekly basis from people.

First, we got pregnant with Emerie 9 months after being married. We weren't planning on trying to start a family until at least being married a year, and the original plan was after 2.

But I had my first miscarriage after 3 months of marriage. And then again at 6 months. Both miscarriages were the result of 1) birth control NOT working. I'm among that .01% that it is not effective on and 2) a faulty uterus that I will have to live with forever - some genetic disorder. Awesome

So, when I was asked these questions, I would cry uncontrollably. YES - I was on birth control the first 2 times. But not with Emerie. Yes, I will give you the name of the birth control so you can avoid it BUT I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have the same issue. YES Emerie was planned because after 2 unplanned miscarriages, YOU would be going crazy, too. YOU would do anything in your power to keep a pregnancy. That's how those questions always went, usually followed by the questioner saying, "I'm sorry..." and walking away slowly. ;)

Sadly, I am still asked those questions because no one understands why anyone would want to be pregnant after only 9 months of marriage. I don't understand that, because 9 months isn't that soon nor is it unheard of. Instead, this only brings up the miscarriages again and uncontrollable sobbing. :)

Oh, and as a PS - when I ask people how they are doing, I want honest answers. And I don't stop until I hear the honest answer - whether it really is "fine" or whether it is really "I'm going to punch the next person that I talk to". But other people DON'T want the real answer. That's why "good" and "fine" suffice.

And PPS - this doesn't make much sense because I'm trying to type and think with a 6 month old attacking my keyboard. ;)

Debbie said...

It's true - for some reason when you're pregnant people think you're fair game for any personal questions they want to throw your way. You'd think they were your doctor :) You don't have to answer just because they asked.

Also, these days, for some reason people think they can totally plan every event in their lives. They will be very disappointed as they live life. What determines "accident" or "planned" anyway? Does that mean you know the precise day this event occurred because your body temperature and other tell-tale signs said so?

As for age - probably won't change no matter how old you are when you're having babies. In fact if you have them after age 35 people will feel another urge to ask because you are so "old" - you're just never safe so you have to be prepared with answers that kindly put them in their place. i.e. "That's kind of a personal question so I'm sure you'll forgive me for not answering it."

I think in the end people learn who's really in charge and it's not them! If it was nobody would ever have infertility issues - they would just have sex by the calendar and it would work exactly when and how they planned because they were controlling the situation. In reality God is in charge. Every baby is a blessing straight from Him and His timing is always better than ours because He sees the big picture.

Eventually your kids will also ask you if they were "planned" or an "accident" - my feeling is, there are no accidents in this. It is as it was supposed to be. Maybe it wasn't on MY timetable, but it was on the RIGHT timetable. One day it will all make more sense and people will realize how stupid they were to ask such dumb questions. Meanwhile you need to learn to field them without feeling compelled to answer every question asked of you. I know you are able to say, "I don't want to talk about that now/any more/ever again" You go girl!

WesandFaith said...

Aubs...wow...very strong and very true. OF COURSE being 16 getting married I HAD TO BE PREGNANT...I was...but people just assumed...NOW I get the question of "Why did you get married so young...you were pregant weren't you?" Yes I say..."wow you are still married...hmm." It is VERY uncomfortable and frustrating...we didn't get married because of the pregnancy and those that know me know that. It is amazing the stupidity of people and how unaware of the offensive questions/comments they make. I will always no matter how old I am I think get the same question my whole life. I wouldn't ever for a second call either children an accident Rylan has been my rock through a HELL of a lot of stress and sadness. Addison is my ice breaker when things get tense. I LOVE both my children with all my heart and would be lost without them. I am so glad you put this out here, it is something most people aren't aware of...and how inappropriet it is. Thanks Aubs..i hope you continue to feel great!! Love ya girl!