Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sinking

3 blog posts in one day? I know, I'm out of control. I just can't help it, there's a ton on my mind today and I'm in need of someone to bounce ideas off!

That's where you come in!

You guys are my idea-bouncers... the place I go when I'm thinking of something new. I get some opinions, find out if I'm out of my mind or on the right track, etc.

So here's where my mind has taken me now. I'm actually making some good progress with the house and getting organized, and I've spent 3 hours this morning on the phone paying bills. I'm in desperate need of a new budget now that Steve's pay scale has changed, and I'm realizing just how far we are away from making enough money. I obviously can't go out and get a job, since I'm pregnant and have 2 kids (daycare is SO much money)...

Mind if I tell you a story?


Once upon a time, when I lived in Kansas, I was introduced to PartyLite. I was immediately in love with PartyLite products (candles and accessories, home decor, spa products, etc), but completely broke and unwilling to start a PartyLite "business" to sustain my obsession. About a year later, though - after attending 9 PartyLite parties - I finally was offered something I couldn't refuse. The Infinite Reflections candle holder for only $20 (regularly $79 I think) if I signed up with PartyLite that month. I e-mailed the candle lady and told her I wanted to sign up. It wasn't very easy in Kansas since I didn't know very many people, and for some reason I was really shy there (which I'm not here)... but I had a blast doing it! I ended up with tons of free product, credit, etc., and met a bunch of new friends. I've really missed it since I quit doing it! Plus, I was actually helping to pay a few bills!

So here's my question: I am getting the itch to start PartyLite again, and I'm wondering if there would be any interest out here in Utah. I want to know if you think I'm out of my mind (be nice) or if some people would be interested in coming to a party or having one of their own or just buying products from the catalog.

Do you think there's a market for this? Does anyone I know even know what PartyLite is, or would I be starting from scratch? Starting from scratch isn't bad, and is totally doable, I'd just like to know where my starting point would be.

Note for my family: I'm not looking for opinions based on what you think I am capable of. Just what you know of the semi-saturated market around here. I was selling PartyLite on a military post with 7 other PartyLite consultants working in the exact same place, so I know about saturated markets... and I know I can handle this venture. Just need an idea of anyone I know who might be willing to help me build a clientele, etc! :)

6 comments:

Keith and Nancy said...

I say go for it,I would totally buy stuff from you.

natterbee said...

I think you think your family thinks you aren't capable of much. I must say that I think you're capable of whatever you put your mind to. If you want to do it, you should! I am sorry to say, however, that I probably won't be a lot of help in the recruiting customers department. I'll cheer lead for you, though - minus the pom poms, short skirt, jumping and that weird arm thing they do.

Whitney L. said...

Hey! I would love to see what they have to offer. I can't promise that I would be a multimillion dollar customer but I think we can arrange something. :) Paying for Dan's school out of pocket is a big chunk of our income. But I think that it would be good for you to do it if you want to!

Amanda said...

I know I'm not in Utah but I'd buy from the catalog! Or do a catalog party to help you with sales? ... so look at that, customers across the country missy! :)

Nina Miles said...

I've never heard of partylite before but if you have a party I'll totally come! [and probably buy something :) I love home decor stuff]

Aubrey Anne said...

Thanks guys!!! I'm excited now! :) I'm going to start working on building some product to show, some samples, and some catalogs. I will let everyone know when I get things going!

If anyone wants to be added to my list of people to e-mail about specials or parties, feel free to e-mail me at aubrey . ortega @ gmail.com! Send me your email address, home address, or phone number - however you'd prefer to be contacted!