The whole time I was watching this, I couldn't stop thinking about Mrs. Bean, my creative inspiration. One of only 2 teachers I ever had who truly understood this concept.
GIVE THIS VIDEO 5 MINUTES OF YOUR TIME. You will want to finish it, I guarantee it.
Pass it on to anyone you know with influence in the lives of youth.
For more about this, and to see where I found this video: Go here.
1 comment:
Besides being hilarious, this man is describing exactly what is wrong with our educational system and exactly why I did not do well in it. I rebelled against the stifling of creativity that is inherent in our system. I would not allow teachers and administrators to destroy my ability to see things differently than the masses did.
He's exactly right. I started out as a very highly creative person but during the past 58 years life and people - even the ones I loved most - have beaten the creativity out of me.
Creativity involves taking risks that you might be (indeed at many points you will be) wrong. You CANNOT create new things without occasionally being wrong. Being wrong occasionally is the price that must be paid to maintain creativity.
When you punish creative people for being wrong you destroy their creative ability and you destroy the most important part of them . . . the part of them that makes them who they are. This is a form of abuse.
Everyone who has children, or is married to a creative person, or who has relatives who are creative people, should watch this video and then ask themselves this question: "What can I do to support their creativity and what am I doing that is destroying it?" Then CHANGE your behavior toward them.
This world is facing the greatest challenges it has ever known and the old ways of doing things will not solve our deepest problems. It will take genuine creativity, anchored by solid knowledge and understanding, to solve them.
It will also take strength and perseverance on the part of those who are most creative and they cannot be strong and work their way through the many obstacles that will be intentionally thrown up against them unless they know they have outside support by others who have faith in who they are. You cannot show this faith if all your words and actions are telling them they should change to become more like you.
If you are not actively supporting creativity, YOU are part of the problem! Please note that I'm speaking to myself as well as others. All of us need to recognize that none of us knows it all or has the God given talents that will save our society.
How many Einsteins, Shakespeares, Mother Teresas, Madam Curies, and Martin Luthor Kings are being destroyed by our educational system and how is the world suffering because of it?
Post a Comment