Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sickies

Max is still having too much trouble keeping his food down. We have made a lot of progress since I stopped eating/drinking dairy products, but he still isn't gaining weight. Most 5 month old babies are about 15-18 lbs, but our Max is only 11 lbs, and has been between 10 and 11 lbs for 2 months now. He's way behind the growth curve.

We took him back to the doctor yesterday to see what we could try next, and she sent us back to Primary Children's Hospital for a sweat chloride test. I was thinking this wouldn't be such a big deal, since there would be no needles, until I got there and found out it's pretty much torture.


First... an electrode is placed over gauze containing pilocarpine and electrolyte solution on his arm. A second electrode (without pilocarpine) is placed on the other arm and hooked to a machine that sends electrical current to draw the pilocarpine into the skin where it stimulates the sweat glands. (In other words, it shocks him... for 5 WHOLE MINUTES!)

This is my sweet baby looking at the lab tech with the most curious, trusting eyes... he looked at him like he was a new friend.

This is Max, all hooked up to the sad machine. :(

This is Max, after he's been betrayed by the nice new lab tech man. After the 5 minutes of shock, they wrapped his arms (which were now red and blistering) in plastic wrap and then tape, then put his clothes back on him and wrapped him up in his blanket. We had to hold him for 30 minutes with hot packs on, so he'd be sure to sweat, and then they took everything off and sent us on our way.

Steve took a picture of my nervous face. I was saying something about how miserable my poor baby was. :(

Feeding him while he waited out the 30 minutes.

We find out tomorrow what the results were. PLEASE pray they are negative!!! Cystic Fibrosis is DEFINITELY not what we want!

After the hospital, we came home and discovered Jon and I were sick. It's been about 24 hours and everyone is recovering now, so I guess it was just a little stomach bug, but it was a long night of everyone throwing up. Steve did an incredible job taking care of everyone while I was incapacitated! I'm so impressed!

Steve and Max passed out

Max and Asher

Josh and Max

All the kids camped out on the living room floor so I could take care of them - I was camped on the couch all night.

Sick Mommy & sick baby

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Poor sweet baby! And poor sweet kids! And poor sweet mommy!!! :( The camped out on the floor picture is the one that really tugs at my heart. They all look so happy, but you know when there are buckets out things aren't going so well!

Glad it wasn't very long lived and everyone is feeling better now.

Megs said...

I'm glad he doesn't have CF and I'm sorry your little family has to endure all those hospital tests & visits - never a fun thing. You're a great mommy!

AshliO said...

Oh my goodness, that test just looked horrible -- and little Max so precious and trusting. Glad the test was negative.