Thursday, July 1, 2010

You Can't Please 'Em

You know how they say "You can't please everyone"?

Here's the truth: You can't please ANYONE. Don't be fooled into thinking you just need to pick and choose more carefully who you try to please. The real story is that you can't please anyone at all.

...and here's the best part. The harder you try, the less you please them. The further you stretch yourself, the less good you're doing.

These are fundamental facts I wish I had understood earlier. While I have spent most of my life with a pretty free attitude of "do what makes you feel best, no matter what other people think," I still have spent a lot of my energy trying to make people (mostly my family, but also friends along the way) happy - and have always failed miserably at it, which makes me unhappy as a result.

Call me selfish, but at this point I believe 100%: There is no making anyone else happy. There is only doing the best you can for YOUR OWN HUSBAND AND CHILDREN, and everything else is up to them. This is my new philosophy. I will work hard for my own family, and everyone else around me can learn to make themselves happy, because if I'm not good enough... well, there's just nothing I can do about that that I haven't already done.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I totally agree. When it all boils down, the most important thing is family. They are the only ones who are still with you when all is said and done.

natterbee said...

Can't say that I agree with you on this one, but I'm sorry you're feeling so frustrated.

Steve said...

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. Bill Cosby