Friday, August 20, 2010

Baby Isaak & Bravest Asher

Sleepy Isaak
Good thing I still have a swing!
Today I babysat my good friend Kate's baby Isaak, and let me tell you, my Max was jealous! Isaak came over before everyone else woke up, so my kids each got to discover him when they first woke up. You should have seen their little faces! lol It was so hilarious. Isaak was born prematurely (Preeclampsia) at only about 4 lbs, so he's just a little thing, and he's still only 7 weeks old. When Steve brought Max downstairs, he stared at Isaak for the longest time with the most confused look on his face. Then he started trying to claw his eyes out. We had to keep them separated all day long, lol! Isaak was the sweetest little thing, he slept the entire day, only waking up to snack.

When Asher woke up, he came bouncing downstairs like he always does, and he stopped short when he realized he was seeing two babies. The second it registered that there was a tiny baby in my arms AND Max in Dad's arms, he said, "WAIT."  (Like, "hey, what are you trying to pull... again?")  Later in the day Asher brought over a stuffed turtle that's bigger than Isaak and said, "This is for Baby Isaak. He can lay with it."

Then when Josh woke up he was just excited. He loves tiny babies! All day he was saying, "Baby Isaak is so cute!"


After Isaak went home we took our boys to the doctor - Max for a 9-month well child check and Asher for a Head Start (preschool) physical & immunizations. Head Start requires the same shots that he'll need for kindergarten, and they all have to be done before he can start school. Max had to have his heel poked for blood and one shot (which barely fazed him... NICU kids are just tough I think!) and Asher had to have his finger poked for blood (twice because they couldn't get enough the first time). It was SO sad. I have done many rounds of immunizations for my kids, and this was by far the saddest. Asher screamed for so long and so hard... I can't even tell you how sad it was. Then he had to have four shots, and he screamed through those too, but when we explained that they would keep him safe later, he sat there brave and willing. Afterward he was such a trooper though! He told us his legs were hurting so he couldn't walk, but we told him he would need to keep them active so they wouldn't hurt more tomorrow. He has been marching around this house (literally marching) saying, "Look Mom! I'm doing what I'm s'posed to do!" Now he's out riding his bike all around the circle cause I told him bike riding would help his legs tomorrow. I'm so proud of him! He is getting so old and willing to do what needs to be done, even if it takes some pain now.

Asher listening to Steve's iPod

2 comments:

Cody, Kate and Isaak said...

Love them! Thanks so much again for watching my babe! Love ya!

natterbee said...

I think it's so dang cute that Asher was brave once you explained why he needed the shots! And I love the marching and bike riding! Does he still need more shots before kindergarten, or is he done now?