Has anyone seen this documentary?
I watched it last night on Netflix while my husband was out with friends, and I have to say, I thought it was awesome. Watching the babies (and mothers) in other countries and what some of them have to do is seriously humbling. It really makes you realize what you're complaining about and how so many of the ways we judge each other about being "good moms" is purely cultural.
I highly suggest watching it, and even sharing it with your kids. My boys watched about half the movie with me, and they loved it. They laughed and laughed at some of the parts, they asked a million questions, and we were able to talk about a lot of things I never would have thought to bring up if we hadn't been watching different people do different things than we do.
As for an update, I guess it's been a while!
Steve is still trying to plug his way through school and work, and he's finding it difficult lately. I think the stress of being sole provider for a wife and three kids is getting to him. Also, we're still living in my mom's house, which is stressful as it is, with the pressure of wanting to get our family into our own place again. I wish I was better at expressing appreciation and gratitude... I am really not good with words in that way. You just have no idea how impressed I've been with his ability to put his all into this marriage and rebuild something broken. We are so lucky to have each other.
I'm halfway through my first semester of college, and although I dropped my dance class, I'm going strong in my marriage and family relations class, absolutely loving it. I have an awesome teacher and the subject is right down my alley, so I think it's the perfect way to ease into college. Next semester.... two core classes. (Scary!) Other than that, my focus is on therapy and eating healthy. I have always been an "I'll eat what I want and you can't stop me!" type... but recently I've adopted some new eating habits and am trying to stick with them as religiously as I can. So far I feel MUCH better and have lost about 7 lbs, so I can't complain about that! I don't even need coffee anymore to stay awake because the food I'm eating is keeping me feeling good longer. General progress in the main areas of my life, but the personal areas of my life are struggling a bit. If you haven't heard from me in a long time, I apologize. I'm a terrible friend when I'm trying to be a good student (or anything else, for that matter).
Joshua is still loving second grade, and he's slowly but surely improving academically. It's not a matter of knowing the material, but his drive isn't quite where it should be, and we're working on it. He needs a lot of motivation/reinforcement, and he's doing much better. He brought home three math "tests" this week that all showed improvement. (He's very motivated by candy, lol.) I'm really proud of him, and I can hardly believe he's so old. Almost eight...
Asher is such a fun 5-year-old! I can't even describe to you the adorable things he does and says. He's always cracking us up and giving us grief at the same time! He loves preschool, but always counts down the days until he can go to Grandma 'Chele's. He really doesn't understand why we can't live at Grandma 'Chele's house, and everything is just a stepping stone to the weekend when he can see her again.
Max is so huge! I know I always say that, but seriously... he's at least 25 lbs now. He turns 1 in less than a month, which blows my mind, and he's taken several steps at a time. If you could only see how much he wants to walk! Everyone who sees him says, "That is NOT the same baby I remember!" And they aren't kidding. He looks so much different, but he's also got such an opposite personality! The little Max we brought home was miserable and screamed all day and all night... I thought I'd been cursed with an unhappy baby. So not the case! He is happy almost all the time, he sleeps almost the entire night without waking up, and he is so curious. I never had a baby this pleasant - he's always friendly and smiling and laughing. Food is his favorite thing, and he never goes more than an hour without begging for food by smacking his lips together. I hope he keeps up this love for food, but we're still struggling with allergies. He's still allergic to something, but I don't know what, so I guess we'll be heading back to the doctor for allergy testing. Poor baby.
Well, there you have it! We're all alive and well, just getting through the day. :)
2 comments:
I enjoyed reading your blog. I wanted to point out that I did tell you he would probably end up being delightful! All you had to do was make it through that first year and now he's an angel - just like my Avery. I wonder how long we have before they get naughty again!
I have to tell you how much I loved the Babies movie. It was so great, I thought it was so interesting..(my hubby slept through the whole thing) but I loved it!!
Post a Comment