Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Poor Baby (Max-ism)

Max and Grandma's Morning ritual

Max will be one year old next Friday. (We'll get into how upsetting that is another day.)

Do you remember how he started out life with a lot of reflux and other stomach problems? We went through a lot of testing at Primary Children's to figure out what was wrong with him, and finally we figured out he was just allergic to milk and wasn't getting enough breastmilk (also a big subject for another day). When we finally figured it out, he went from tiny little skinny frail baby to a whole new kid! Chubby, chubby, chubby! And so happy. My whole world turned around the day we figured out what to feed him and what not to feed him! Suddenly I had a healthy, happy kid.

We're still struggling with some allergies, though. For the life of me, I can't figure out what they are. Max wants table food all the time. He loves crackers, vegetables, fruit of all kinds, bread, etc., etc. The problem is that he's getting horrible diaper rash that makes him bleed when he eats certain foods (which is exactly how Josh's allergy to milk presented itself when he was a baby). I have no idea what those foods are because he eats so many things now.

So, elimination diet, here we come.  (Can I just say I am not excited about this?? Max LOVES food, and he's a huge fan of variety.)

Also, his birthday party is next weekend. How lame is it that he can't have cake? :(

But, I need to do what he needs. A few minutes ago, Max was playing and I was writing. He came over and started whining at me, and hitting my book I was writing in. I told him "No" several times, and he just kept hitting me and looking at me more intensely. Finally I picked him up and checked his diaper, and sure enough, he had a brand new messy diaper that was burning his skin, making him bleed. It's that fast... I had only changed his diaper 5 minutes before. My poor baby wasn't trying to be obnoxious, he was just trying to tell me something was wrong.

He's such a smart baby, I swear he's more like a two-year-old than a one-year-old... and we need to figure out what is causing his poor little rash! If anyone knows anything about stuff like this, I'd be happy to hear your suggestions! His doctor (like Josh's doctor) isn't convinced it's an allergy, so she's basically useless in this arena. Suggestions, anyone?

I'd really love to quit having to give my baby a bath and two tons of diaper rash cream several times a day. :)

6 comments:

Krista Miller said...

We couldn't give Kenlee anything kind of citrus or tomatoes...they gave her a bad rash. I don't know if that helps or not. Oh and we used Bag Balm for her terrible diaper rashes and liked it so much better that the stuff made for diaper rash.

natterbee said...

I'm so grateful I haven't had to deal with allergies. There must be groups online of people dealing with it, though, so that's probably where I'd start.

Miken said...

i really can NOT believe that he is 1 year old. that is crazyyyy. i love the pictures of max!

mIcHeLLe said...

you're not using Pampers Dry Max diapers by chance are you? my friend used them and her baby got blisters and horrible diaper rash all over from them...then she Googled it and there are tons of people out there that had the same problem w/them...just thought i'd pass that on...hope it all works out..poor little guy! :(

Megs said...

Well, I've had a lot of catching up to do. So sorry. BUT - I love your blog and you have the cutest little boys. Ever. And I seriously CANNOT believe that Max will be year old! Where has the time gone? I'm sure you're already asking yourself that question, so I'm sorry to be so redundant. :)

I've loved all the new posts I missed and I think your Halloween costumes were FANTASTIC. Good job! And I love your new blog layout!

WesandFaith said...

Aubs, he may have a yeast infection on his little bum...It happend to Rylan when he was a little baby..maybe try some yeast infection cream..it helped Rylan's when he was having the same problem. Hope this helps you. Good luck with him...your boys are so cute and getting too big!! Lova ya