Something has happened to my sweet baby. Everyone says, "Oh, he's that old already?" when I tell them he's 16 months old now. I always respond the same way. "No, he's more like 30, in a tiny little body."
I am not exaggerating.
Max has the passion, drive, and personality of a full-grown adult.
The only problem is that he's stuck in this little one-year-old body, which really makes him angry. He feels completely ripped off when he isn't capable of doing something he wants to do, and he gets even more angry when we treat him like a child. He insists on being treated like everybody else (but even more important), and he's sure we are just being mean when we restrict his climbing hobby. If he had his way, he'd be climbing mountains by now.
You should know that I think he's hilarious. He does the funniest stuff sometimes, with the most humorous (and familiar) look on his face.
(Look familiar to anyone?)
But he's mean.
I know, I know, "he's just a baby. He's not being mean; he just doesn't know any better."
But I swear to you, he knows what he's doing, and he's doing it to hurt me. He hits and kicks me, yells at me, tells me "NO, Mama!" all day long, and uses anything he can find as a weapon against me. Yesterday he sat in my lap, pretending to just want to sit with me... then he threw his head backward into my neck.
I was pretty sure I was dying. (Ok, slight exaggeration.) But really, it felt exactly like getting the wind knocked out of me... except scarier. Steve says I was being dramatic, but in all fairness, Max doesn't abuse him, so he doesn't know, now does he?
Sometimes Max is the sweetest thing I have ever seen.
But most of the time, he's just abusive to me.
Does anyone know what to do with a child whose spirit has outgrown his body???
2 comments:
When Tyden turned one, he really turned two. We have been in the terrible two's for awhile now. It's hard when their brains definitely out-think their capabilities. I am sorry! If you find anything that works for your little one, please share.
Mason was this way! I struggled with this but found that if I kept him busy and gave him new things to do and new challenges that it kept his behavior tolerable. He's ALWAYS been the kid to figure things out fast and be bored 5 minutes later. Once he got older and started talking more that really helped too. Good luck!
Post a Comment