Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Etiquette

So I came across this post on another blogger's site, and I feel a bit confused. I read the etiquette she was referring to, and the question was posed: "How do manners change so drastically in a single generation? Should we teach our children more formal manners? Do you think parenting would be easier if basic etiquette were a standard part of the agenda?"

I'm pretty sure I was taught all those things. (Except to rise whenever a guest rises... At this point, that would seem a bit ridiculous.) I distinctly remember a few times for each of those guidelines when my own father got upset because I didn't do those things. I have been a little surprised as an adult that other adults don't know these things... specifically "If you leave or cross the room, you should say, “Excuse me.” To me, this is just common decency, but I have noticed that most people won't say "excuse me" as they cross between your conversation with another person.

Anyway... I guess I'd like your input! How do you feel about this? Do you think things have changed too much? Would we benefit from a rewind??

2 comments:

AshliO said...

Hmmm. I don't know. I'm mostly around families who teach their children pretty good etiquette. Our kids call some adults Mrs. and Mr., and others by their first names -- I'm not even sure what the pattern is for who they call what. Mostly I just want them to be respectful in the way they talk to adults, and I expect children to treat me the same. I care more about the manner of speaking than the name used.

Mayhem At The McNeils said...

i think theres too many kids today whose parents dont teach them manners. my boys( well mikey since zachary is too young still) calls every adult mr or mrs. i feel its not respectful for a little kid to call someone whose an adult by their first name. i still say excuse me if i walk in front of someones convo...or even if someone at the grocery store is looking at something on the shelf and i have to walk in fron of them for a sec. its courtsey. i think people our age for the most part have been taught good manners but parents today(most not ALL) are just to lazy or just say" times have changed" THATS THE PROBLEM WITH A LOT OF KIDS TODAY!!! old fashioned values and morales have gone out the window. just my opinion!!! good topic..im sure it will be intresting!!!!