Wednesday, April 22, 2009

How Do People Do This?

Ok, so Steve had an interview yesterday for a job at the DATC, where he goes to school. This would be an awesome job... if it was more than 20 hours a week. Even though they pay 100% of his school, it wouldn't be enough money all by itself.

So he can either stay where he works now, which he won't like nearly as much (if at all), or he can take the DATC job and I can get a job. Trouble is, I have two kids and no education. How do people have two working parents without a college degree? Daycare is so expensive for two kids, it wouldn't even help for me to work. How do you work around this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone know a reasonably-priced daycare provider that might be able to help me out?

I have heard of some daycare centers that allow their employees to bring their kids to work... or some work-from-home things. Does anyone know of anything like that? I'm shamelessly asking for some networking, if anyone has any ideas or contacts that could help, let me know please! :)

Thanks guys... I'm feeling a little desperate.

5 comments:

Krista Miller said...

It's hard...this I know for sure. Justin and I have always had to work and pay for daycare. It was 10years before we got a real house. I am counting down the days until I don't have to pay for daycare anymore. I pay $460/month when Kenlee isn't in school...for a 10 year old!! It's insane! Luckily we have decent jobs (without college degrees). Maybe you could get a job in the evenings or the weekends, it's not ideal but you do what you gotta do!

LisaTimoteo said...

I gave up on daycare centers.. I am extrememly lucky to have a family member that can watch my kids for a few hours each day.
She works evenings at a restaurant & watches my kids in the morning until my teenager gets home. My husband works evenings & I work days, which also helps. Good luck!! I hope you find something that works!!! :D ~Lisa

ed'WORD' said...

Brittany is basically the day care/pre school queen. Literally. I don't know where you're living now, but if youre close to the salt lake area you need to be talking to Brittany. Hit her up for sure. You know her blog, or mine. Good luck!

The Greenwoods said...

Most Child Care Centers will pay for their employees Child care. We do, as long as the children are at least 3 years old that way they don't count in ratios. I would check out Child care centers that are hiring and see what they offer. You can also see if the state will provide you with any assistance.

Mayhem At The McNeils said...

i go with what the greenwoods said. working at a daycare is def. a good ideai know if FL they pay for half of yuor daycare if you work there but they gave helath insurance too...def. a good option to look into!