Tuesday, April 7, 2009

When Did This Become Spring Break?


Steve, me, Joshua, Asher
Photo by Natalie Howes

Okay, so as most of you know, we are a one-car family. As most of you also know, this makes me crazy. We are living in Roy right now, with Steve working in North Salt Lake and going to school in Kaysville. This is causing a problem, since Josh still goes to school in Bountiful. Most days, I have to wake up at 5 am with Steve, wake up the boys at 5:30, and leave the house at 6 am to get Steve to work at 7 am. Then we go to my mom's house, where I pass out on the couch until it's time to take Josh to school at 8:45. Then I hang out at my mom's until Josh gets out of school, pick him up, then wait around until 3:00 when it's time to go pick up Steve from work. Then Steve drives us home to Roy, turns around and goes to school until 7:30. We are not morning people (ok, so maybe that's just me and Asher), so this schedule is difficult for us. Steve has been waking up at 5 am for years (in the Army), so he's doing just fine with the early mornings, but my kids are extra tired, and I am borderline insane from the lack of sleep. Asher woke up every morning at 5 am until he turned 3, I should be used to it, but in the last 6 months he's been sleeping until about 8... and my body was happy to adjust.

ANYWAY! I don't love waking up in the morning, but I do love a few things about the way we've been doing things.

  • Seeing my sisters every day

  • Getting my errands done - I have a car the whole day and am already in Bountiful, where I can look for an apartment and a job.

  • Using my mom's and sister's washer and dryer to get my laundry done.

  • The drive with Steve in the morning and when we pick him up from work. It's really the only time we have together anymore with him working full time and going to school!

The trouble is, although I'm getting more sleep, I am feeling extremely trapped at home this week because it's SPRING BREAK. Josh has no school! So I get to sleep in, but... I'm stuck at home for the ENTIRE WEEK. I can't even tell you how stir crazy that makes me feel. No getting laundry done, no seeing my sisters, no apartment hunting, no applying for jobs... nothing. Just me, the boys, and our messsy house all week. I am trying really hard to just appreciate that I'm lucky to be home with my boys, but... it's hard to look at the same four walls for 7 days!!! I'm just sayin'.


When did spring break become sitting in the house with kids?? It's a whole different ball game with kids!!!

3 comments:

natterbee said...

Cute, cute picture! Natalie Howes did a great job! I want to see the others she took.

Maybe Wednesday or Friday I could come pick you up from Roy and you could spend the day down here and then Steve could pick you up on his way home. Jenn and I were talking about maybe taking the kids ice skating tomorrow.

Debbie said...

These pictures are so cute!

Keith and Nancy said...

Your pictures are so cute!!