Since I was about 16 I have been in LOVE with the name Isabella. At the time I had no intention of having kids at all, ever, but I had planned to name my first baby girl Isabella for a very long time.
Then.... Last year.... I discovered Twilight. Isabella Swan, the main character ("Bella"). I am a huge fan of the name, so I've loved it in the books and movie... but now I'm bummed because since the Twilight series came out, the name Isabella has jumped from #45 (2000) to #2 (Social Security Administration Most Popular Names list).
As most of you know, I have a little bit of an issue with trendy baby names. I don't go too far out there, but I don't think a child should be named the same thing as 8 million other babies that year either. When I was naming my son Joshua I actually hadn't even thought of that name at all up until 2 days before my son was born. Suddenly Joshua Lucas just had to be his name, and I'm glad I did it - even if he did have to be one of 2 Joshuas in his class. I just kinda think it sucks that he has to be Joshua M. instead of just Joshua. Ya know?
ANYWAY! Moral of the story? I want a baby girl, and I want to name her Isabella SO BAD. But I can't bring myself to let her have the 2nd most popular name in the country (Emma is the first - which is what happened to my sister Jennifer when she named her daughter Emma RIGHT before Rachel on Friends had her baby and named her Emma. Suddenly Emma was everywhere). Who knows, I'll probably end up with a boy anyway, but here's where my thought processes are bringing me right now....
I'm opening up the discussion! Anyone have any suggestions for baby names? Note: I do not promise to use anyone's suggestions OR not use a name because someone has previously "claimed" it for their own future baby! All's fair in baby-naming! :)
Go nuts.
11 comments:
remember how i'm not telling you the ones i think are cute?? I'M USING THEM SOMEDAY!!!! :) good luck though. do one of those surveys or something once you narrow it down!
A few of my favorite girl names are Mayson, Saylor, Aspen, Kambree, Kierney, Marley, Claire, Dakota, Monica, and Nichole.
Some boy names are River, Miles, Denver, Spencer, Alexander (call him Xander) Brekken, Tyler, and Coleman.
oh great post! First off i will have to disagree with you on the who "claiming " a name thing. if its someone you've known forever and they have a claim say on...hailey LOL then you cannot use that. you just cant. my brother tried to do that to me when he knew i claimed hailey when i first got pregnant with mikey( before we knew he was a boy)That name was MINE forever unless he had a girl b4 i did then i told him he could have it!
next, i think isabella is beautiful and we all know how much you LOVE twilight...who cares if its popular?!?!?! at least she wont be the weird kid named Moon or named after a bird or something.. LOL.
stick with isabella. Isabella Ortega sounds sooooooo great.it rolls off the tounge.!!!
Hey Aubrey, it's Adelaide. I just found your blog today, and I have to say, I LOVE it!
As for your baby's name (by the way, congrats!!!), I would agree that naming a child is SO difficult! My suggestion is Arabella, with the nickname Bella. It's a little bit like Isabella, but with a twist. :)
Having said that, I'd like to point out that while Isabella is the #2 name in the US, this is still less than one percent of the population. :) Names should mean something, and if this is a name that you've liked since you were 16, then GO FOR IT! I do have to say, I love it!
Good luck!
I totally hate the pressure of naming your child around what everyone else thinks or says. You should call your baby whatever name you want! Isabella is popular right now, but it's so adorable!
C'mon, what's the name? I'll tell you what my mom said to me when I told her I'd always wanted Jennifer and it jumped to the top few. She said, "you should name her what you love and want, regardless of what others do." OK, so this was from someone who named me Debbie and I was ALWAYS Debbie M. Even now I work directly with two others. It's not the worst thing. But, I want to know what else is in the running.
I think you should name your baby whatever name you want! Who cares what other people think, you don't want to regret not using that name just because of a book. I have a boy name that I have wanted for years now, never heard of it, and I've recently met two people with a child named the name I want. Is that gonna stop me? Hell no!
I really like the name Shiloh!!
When do you find out what your having? Have you been to your first visit yet?
Hey! I found your blog through Megan Gelters so I hope you dont mind that I read it. I'm just letting you know so you don't think i'm crazy haha. I also love the name Isabella {without Twilight influence} I think if you love the name, there's meaning behind it then there should be no reason not to name your baby that.
Oh, and my blogs private so if you want to see it or find out who I am you can just send me your email {claysjen@gmail.com}
I have always (well, since I finished grade-school) liked my name because it's easy to say and spell but I've never had more than one in my whole school that I'm aware of. Of course, now there are 3 of us in my neighborhood, but that has not been the case the rest of my life. I like having a name that isn't run-of-the-mill. Do you feel the same way with your name? If I'd known Olivia would become so popular I'm not sure I would have chosen it - although I still LOVE it. At least it's not all over the place just yet.
I say if you love it, do it! It's too hard to pick names that AREN'T on the top baby names list anymore! I agree, though, it's frustrating to hear of 15 other kids the same age as yours with the same name.
Post a Comment