Tonight Josh asked me to read him "Love You Forever" for bedtime. He had me dig it out from the bottom of the pile cause he was in the mood to hear it, I guess! I almost said no, but he so rarely requests a certain book, I said to myself, "I can handle it! Right?" WRONG. Halfway through the book I started blubbering like a baby, and my poor son watched me in horror. At the end of the book I was sobbing and could barely read the words at all.
Josh said, "Mom, why are you crying?" I blabbed something about how much I love my kids and how sad I will be when someday they get old and move away from me, through the sobs. Then he said, "Oh. I love you too, Mom." I hugged him and said, "Goodnight, Josh. I'll love you forever!" He started to cry a little (seriously, the guilt couldn't GET any thicker), and he said, "And me, mom." He couldn't even choke out an I love you too. I felt so bad for making him sad right before bed, so I tucked him in and left the room.
Steve came home from work right at that moment, and he said, "Why are you crying?" Like the blubbering pregnant idiot I was before, I burst into sobs again, and couldn't even tell him. Asher said, "She read the baby book!" I sat down on the couch with Steve and he said, "Why are you crying so hard?" I said (I thought quiet enough), "My kids are going to get big and I'm going to get old!" Then I cried harder.
Asher came over to me and said, "I not get big, Mom, and Joshy not get big and Daddy not get big and you not get big, and you not get old!" He had the sweetest little look on his face, like he was positive he'd solved the problem and I wouldn't be sad anymore. He's such a sweetheart! But how sad, I made my 3-year-old feel like he couldn't get big!!!!
I can't even DESCRIBE the guilt. Moral of the story, outlaw that book!!! :( :( Not really, but at least don't read it when you're pregnant!
6 comments:
i remember my mom ready this book to me when i was younger! its a sweet book.
I feel your pain! Im not pregnant and I cant read that book. (Either can Morgan, but we will just keep that between the two of us!)
It's not just pregnancy, trust me!!! We bought that book for Emerie shortly after she was born and I still cry. It's one of her favorites - she always falls asleep by the end - and I always leave her nursery bawling me eyes out. Tim just laughs because I'm so "sensitive" - blah!!!!
not being pregnant, let alone a mother... i can't say i fully appreciate the book like sobbing aubrey. wow!
I know! Blame it on hormones. What great boys you have!
Asher's efforts to comfort you are so adorable! It seems like forever since I've seen him.
I have cried several times while reading that book to my kids and then have to explain the tears to the kids. I think it's good for kids to see you like that once in a while, though, because they get a glimpse into how much you love them. Good job! You're doing just what you're supposed to do!
Post a Comment