
Critical parts of me have been altered in the last 24 hours since the UPS man brought me Danny Evans' book Rage Against the Meshugenah. Besides him turning into my hero overnight, I understand my husband, myself, and my disease so much better. So many things are suddenly so clear to me.
The fact that an irreverent Jew from So Cal with a porn addiction and alcoholism could possibly help a Mormon girl understand herself better is a phenomenon I can't quite understand, and is a true testament to Danny's talent. I could praise him from the rooftops. (Does this count?) And Danny's incredible wife... everything about myself that I have always doubted came clear to me in her part of Danny's story. Parts of me who, when not battling depression myself, stayed with my husband through his and wondered if I had made a mistake by somehow enabling him. Now I know I did the right thing, standing by him, and that there is more hope for us through therapy than I ever realized.
It's a bit of a tragedy in a way, that I can't pass this book along to every person I know. Most of them would pass out from the irreverence in the first chapter and never receive the raw truths and insights I believe they could benefit from. However, I'm absolutely positive this book will speak perfectly and directly to my husband, who would reject a more conservative approach. So for that I am immeasurably grateful that Danny stayed true to himself and wrote with absolute integrity - the kind my husband will relate to.
Someday I will find my voice, and I vow to write with as much vulnerability and core honesty as Danny Evans. No other way could make me happy or feel fulfilling to me.
P.S. THANKS JILL!
2 comments:
I'm very interested in reading this book. I've been extremely depressed since returning from Japan.
Dad
Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment