Monday, September 7, 2009

Asher-isms & Joshua-isms

My Asher:


Asher is turning 4 on the 27th of September, and he couldn't possibly be more excited. Every single day he wakes up asking if it's his birthday, and when I say not yet he says, "I'm gonna be four!" and holds up four fingers.

Asher sings little songs everywhere he goes. He has a little theme song he sings all the time that sounds like a superhero theme. I asked him once what that song was, and he said, "It's the race car song."

One day we walked out of our apartment and while I was locking the front door, Asher looked up at the EXIT sign and said, "E-X-I-T" (saying the sounds of the letters). He has read several things since then without any help at all. I'm amazed that he's picked up reading so well already!

Last week I said to Asher, "You look just like your dad!"
Asher looked at me like I was crazy and said, "No I not! I not ORANGE!"
I can only assume he was referring to Steve's dark skin tone, which Asher didn't get. The ONLY thing he got from me genetically was my fair skin!

Asher is such a joy to have around, and definitely a challenge also. He wears me out and makes my life worth living at the same time.


One day last month Joshua was sword fighting with Asher, and came up with this invention:


It's a kitchen plate shaped like a flower. He wrapped a mardi gras-style necklace around it and turned it into a shield. The things my kids come up with just amaze me, I love it.

Josh has been developing his very own personality, complete with new bargaining techniques.
A couple of weeks ago he said to me, "If you get me some milk, I will eat the food you gave me." This is by far the most obstinate he's ever been, lol. He's almost 7 and this is the first attempt he's made at telling me he won't do something unless I do something for him! I'm pretty lucky if you ask me! :)

A couple of days later he was playing with two miniature Bionicle toys, making them fight violently. I said, "Joshua, I don't like you talking like that, please don't." He said, "I will stop talking like this when you buy me a bigger Bionicle." (I of course said no deal, you'll stop talking like that either way young man... or something of the sort.)


Yesterday Josh sat next to me and said, "Mom! Guess what! There's this thing called Space Bags. You put your clothes in it and vacuum out the air, and then you put it in the closet and it makes SPACES!"

I can't remember the last time he watched TV (as opposed to movies) since we don't have any TV signal at our house, but apparently he got a chance at some point and paid some good attention to those infomercials!

Joshua is loving first grade, and says he's made a couple of friends to play with at recess. It is such a relief to know he's doing well at his new school! :)

7 comments:

Amanda said...

lol. I love this post. Such a crack up.

By the way, my favorite Asher-ism will always be one I witnessed myself. When I very first met him at your house and he was so excited to show me something. I don't remember what he called it, but Steve put him up on the coffee table and squeezed his cheeks while he smiled to make his face look all chubby. I was seriously like "that's it? that's what you wanted to show me?" SO funny!

And Josh being so excited to show me pictures of him when he was a "baby". He wasn't as tiny in those pictures as I expected. I get the feeling anything before now could be considered "when I was a baby" :)

Love it.

Kim said...

Aubrey! Happy Birthday!! I was going to call you but my phone is missing! I'm glad you had a chance to do things to celebrate over the weekend. Just wanted you to know I was thinking of ya! Hope it was a great day.

Sky, Jausi, Capree, Cash, & Charly said...

Hey just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. I dont know what you've been going through entirely, however I just might be dealing with some things very similar... just wanted you to know I'm sorry and hope your birthday was a good one.

Miken said...

haha he's not orange. that's terrible but hilarious at the same time. and i love the space bags. hahahha kids are so weird and funny. :)

ed'WORD' said...

I remember as a kid making a flaying space ship out of a vegtiable steamer my mom and dad had. It was all metal and folded up into this dome shape thing. Kids don't need elabrate toys and coloful plastic. They prefer the box to the toy, the prefer the wrapping paper to the box, and as long as they can imagine they will amaze you what they can do. Look at me being all grown up like!

Debbie said...

They are so cute!

Unknown said...

Those boys are so cute! 3 years old is one of my very favorite ages because they say so many cute and funny things. I'm so glad you guys live nearby again so we can see you a lot!