Friday, September 23, 2011

Asher's Birthday

Making his birthday invitations


Josh was happy to help

Playing "Candy Landy" with Max

Asher is five years old, about to turn six. His little personality is evolving into a sweeter version of his charming, shocking, hilarious self. You can always see the wheels turning in his little brain, spilling out in tons of questions and thoughts about the world around him. He is definitely an observant kid! Yesterday he told me, "We watched the Frog movie at Kindergarten today. It's all about learning letters. But I already know my letters." Poor kid missed the deadline by just a little bit like I did as a kid, so he's pretty bored. Honestly I think he could transition into first grade just fine, without even dealing with Kindergarten.

This week he got it in his head that he needed to make birthday party invitations, even though I hadn't really planned a party (besides the party with our families). I overheard him telling Josh, "You can invite everyone in your class to my birthday party, Josh."  What?!

He loves to draw, and he's always making me adorable little pictures of things. Each time I go to write in my journal I find a new picture he's drawn in there to surprise me. They're always unique, and so cute! His drawings are intricate and always more involved than what I expect from a 5-year-old. He's got complicated explanations for them too. His imagination is amazing, and his ability to transfer it to paper is pretty remarkable too! He doesn't think so, though. Lately he's been hard on himself, saying things like, "I'm not a very good draw-er, Mom." So not true!!

Asher is extremely musical. He's always singing songs, dancing to songs, asking to hear songs on the radio or computer, or singing along to movies and TV. Even if he's heard it only once, he can sing the entire song, including lyrics AND melody. It impresses me so much because I'm completely tone deaf!

Tonight my mom and I were talking in my living room, and when we started to talk over each other to be heard, Asher said, "I have an idea. Maybe one person should talk and one person should talk. Like, when one person is talking, the other person should wait." He says similar things to Steve and I when we argue. He's DEFINITELY my middle-child peacemaker.

I can't believe my little guy turns six on Tuesday. I love you Asher!!!

3 comments:

Megan said...

What a great post! I love these birthday posts because it will serve as a great reminder one day of what they were like at a certain age. Well done :)

Debbie said...

Happy Birthday, my sweet and clever Asher!

natterbee said...

I love this post, especially the part about him helping you with your communication skills! He's so funny and cute! And I think his artwork is amazing!!!